Tired of students complaining about test questions? Need a better way to assess test question validity? What if you could determine the validity of a test question without looking at the question? Discriminatory Item Analysis allows the instructor to use data, rather than feelings, to validate test questions. This interactive session will illustrate how Discriminatory Item Analysis can be used by an instructor who administers written tests.
Type of Session: Breakout session
Intended Audience: Educators
Presentation Length: 60 – 90 minutes
NCCP Category: Individual component
- Participants will be able to identify common pitfalls associated with attempting to validate test questions.
- Participants will be able to describe the concepts associated with discriminatory item analysis.
- Participants will be able to utilize discriminatory item analysis to validate test questions.
What makes me qualified to present this topic?
- Lead Instructor for one of the largest accredited paramedic programs in the Rocky Mountain Region that administers over 12 formative and summative examinations a week.
- Based upon knowledge acquired during my master’s degree in adult education, I developed item analysis protocols that verify the validity of test questions.
- Author a bi-monthly column for EMS educators in EMS1.com called “Educator’s Edge.” An article on this subject will be published in June 2020.